Friday, May 18, 2012

Nostalgia: Kid Movies

I don't know why exactly, but I've been thinking about my childhood a lot lately. Maybe because I'm currently surrounded by "younger" people - for the nth time, I'm back in UP for two summer courses. It pains me to realize that I'm classmates with "kids" six years younger than me. Pains talaga? Haha. Kasi naman, their student numbers start with 10 or 11. Who wouldn't feel conscious about that? I have to constantly act their age, just so I can blend in. Di bale, young at heart naman ako.  And humor me, I don't look 23 years old. :)

Anyway, thanks to my newfound friends, I've been taking a lot of trips down memory lane. And one of those trips led me to this: FAVORITE 90s FILMS!

When I was still little, Papa would take us to video rental stores. Yes, uso pa ang video rentals non. Torrent downloading was a thing of the faraway future. Think Video City or ACA Video. Oh, the memories.

So, without further ado, here are the ten best movies from my childhood (in no particular order because I can't decide which of them is the best-est):


1. Baby's Day Out (1994)

This is the story of millionaire Baby Bink who got kidnapped or baby-napped. He escaped from his kidnappers, and spent the day touring the city using the pages of a baby book he committed to memory. Even if this movie is just one step closer to being impossible, I say: Go Baby Bink! 

2. Home Alone (1990)

Can you believe this movie was released 22 years ago? Feels like yesterday when Macaulay Culkin was accidentally left at home by his family over Christmas vacation. He was just ten years old then! I wonder how he looks now.


3. Richie Rich (1994)

Hindi naman obvious na I was a Culkin fan. Haha. Culkin looked so much like the cartoon version of Richie Rich; it was like the cartoon was patterned after him. He played the lead role in this film so well. Nainggit ako sa yaman n'ya, for real. Having your own McDonalds was the bomb. Ikaw na. Ikaw na talaga.

4. It Takes Two (1995)

I'm a self-confessed Olsen fan. Mary-Kate and Ashley were adorable as Amanda and Alyssa, as they switched places to experience living each other's lives. I still stop to watch this movie whenever it airs on HBO. 

"It's got to be that can't-eat, can't-sleep, reach-for-the-stars, over-the-fence, World Series kind of stuff..." - Amanda on getting a husband for Diane.


5. Jingle All The Way (1996)

I liked Arnold Schwarzenegger even before I could spell or pronounce his name. As if I can now, without Google-ing it. Haha. This is a story about a father who goes to hell and back just to fulfill his promise to his son of spending Christmas Day with him and getting him the coolest robot in the market. Plus, who doesn't love Christmas movies?

6. The Little Rascals (1994)

You're not a 90s kid if you don't know Alfalfa, Darla, Spanky and Waldo. Naku! Shame on you! Haha. Seriously now, this movie was the best during those times. 'Twas the complete package: love story, action-packed car racing scenes, the unforgettable "dear darla" speech, and the best friend fight!

"Dear Darla, I hate your stinking guts. You make me vomit. You're scum between my toes! Love, Alfalfa" - Buckwheat, as he reads Alfalfa's hate letter to Darla.



7. Matilda (1996)

Where is Mara Wilson now? She was the coolest little telekinetic grade schooler back then. Imagine being able to lift objects and make them fly just by looking at them. That was cool for an eight year old, mind you. Plus, she was able to defeat her terrorist teacher with her "superpowers". Cooler than cool, yo.

8. Once Upon A Forest (1993)

Abigail, Edgar and Russell - a mouse, a mole, and a hedgehog who risked their lives to find a cure for their friend Michelle who was poised by men. Don't be fooled by the cute graphics. This one's a real tearjerker. To friendship!


9. Space Jam (1996)

Because of this film, Michael Jordan is the only basketball player I know. Haha! For an eight year old, the only thing cooler than Matilda is a human being talking to a cartoon. Think Jordan and Bugs Bunny. The soundtrack didn't hurt either. Cue For You I Will and I Believe I Can Fly.

10. The Parent Trap (1998)

Please don't shoot me when I say I actually thought Lindsay Lohan had a twin. I was ten. How was I supposed to know? By the way, the whole twin acting was good ha. Very convincing. And her accent when  she was acting as Annie? Too cute.


There. I hope you liked my list. I'm gonna go download copies of 'em from the Internet. Ciao for now! :)


* All photos and info grabbed from Google Images and Imdb.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment