Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Backpacking: Ilocos Sur and Ilocos Norte (Part 2)

Hello again, friends! It's been a while since my last post. I didn't have any blog-worthy adventures until last weekend.

I spent more than half of my summer planning a trip to Ilocos with my relatives. Yes, you read that right - Ilocos! I fell in love with the north too much, I just had to go back. Haha!

Since I was the only one who's already been to Vigan and Laoag, I took it upon myself to do all the planning. And it was nerve-wracking, I tell you. I had to book a hotel, rent a van, reserve bus seats and budget the expenses. I used to love travelling when all I did was tag along. Haha. But the weird part was, I loved every minute of it. I even found packing the best part of the trip.

I patterned our trip after my Ilocos adventure with my friends from law school. We left Manila Friday night, arrived in Vigan early Saturday morning, spent most of Saturday going around Vigan, left for Laoag, checked in to our hotel, spent Sunday morning swimming in Pagudpud, toured the rest of Ilocos Norte Sunday afternoon, took a bus back to Manila that same night, and arrived in Manila Monday morning. Whew!

Calle Crisologo at dawn is a sight to behold.

We took the same bus, but checked into a different hotel - Mira de Polaris Hotel. For a cheap hotel, it was very nice ha. The staff was very accommodating. The rooms were clean and spotless. I also managed to rent the same van and enlist the services of the same driver - Kuya Mario! Visit Ilocos Travel if you want to rent a van or go sand boarding. The owner, Ms. Marie, is the sweetest! She gave in to my every request and even prepared our itinerary. Haha.

So, since I've been there already, I served us our pseudo-tour guide. I took them to places I've already been to, but added a few stops on the way. We visited a pottery-making establishment where they allowed us to try our hand at pottery. But we found the mold sticky so we just posed for pictures. Arte lang. Haha. We also went to a placemat-weaving place where they taught us how to "manually" weave placemats and blankets. I took videos which I've tried countless times to upload, but it refuses to work. Don't know why. Sad because I actually took the videos with the intention of posting them here for all the world to see. Oh well. I guess pictures'll have to do.



Unlike last time, I was able to go to Pagudpud. Finally! My cousins and I went swimming for two hours in the Boracay of the North. I actually forgot to apply sunblock on my shoulders so now I'm nursing a major sunburn.


Sun, sand and sea in one photo. I've never seen clearer water before.

And I finally have a decent photo of the Bangui Windmills. Haha. Last time I was there, it was already past five o'clock in the afternoon. I wasn't able to take good pictures 'cause it was already too dark.



This statue is the latest addition to the Kapurpurawan Rock Formation. It's Ang Biag ni Lam-ang. If you look it up, it's an Ilocano legend/ epic poem about an extraordinary being who battled a huge fish. But if you ask me, it looks more like a crocodile than a fish.


This last photo was taken at the top of Cape Bojeador Lighthouse. I don't think I'll ever get tired of this view. I kept wishing I could put the view in a box and bring it with me back to Manila. 

Ilocos is simply breathtaking. No words can describe how blessed the Ilocanos are to have such beautiful scenic spots. Makes you believe in God's greatness even more.

I can keep coming back to Ilocos. Never mind the seven-hour bus ride. Somebody from Ilocos adopt me, please.


No comments:

Post a Comment