Monday, April 15, 2013

Kitchen Battle: Calamansi Loaf

I confess. I have no use in the kitchen. With the exception of eggs and canned and instant foods, I don't know how to cook anything. I'd love to enroll in a cooking class, but my frugal self just won't allow me to. Let's face it - cooking classes may just as well be as expensive as film classes.

There. Now that you know I can't cook to save my life, I'm gonna share with you a little something I achieved over the weekend. I baked! *confetti*

Okay. I know it's not as big as learning how to cook, but hey, it's one step closer.

And this time I call it an achievement 'cause I didn't use ready-mixed ingredients! *more confetti*. Haha.

Mama is frustrated by the fact that I can't cook - even more frustrated than me. Haha. That's why she lets me hang around in the kitchen and poke my nose into her or our angel's cooking. Last Saturday, just because she had something to attend to, she let me do the baking all by myself.

I've heard about Real Coffee's Calamansi Muffins but I've never actually tasted them. And when I saw a recipe on PEPPER.PH, I knew I found my first ever serious baking project.


And before you react violently, yes, I didn't bake muffins. I didn't have a muffin pan handy so I had to improvise. The only baking pans we had were the ones good for making brownies or a loaf. I chose the loaf. It was, after all, only an experiment.





I had to make a few more changes to the recipe. You must be wondering why the color isn't exactly similar to the one found on PEPPER.PH. Well, it's 'cause I used coco sugar instead of the usual. Papa is a diabetic so he's not allowed to have too much sweets. I didn't want him to miss all the fun so I had to use his sugar. Also, instead of the required oven temperature, I baked the loaf in preheated 170 degrees Celsius oven for 30 minutes.

Mama and Ate said it was good but I could do better with more calamansi. And the next time I bake these, I'm gonna make sure there's a muffin pan somewhere.

So, how's that for a first-timer? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment