Sunday, April 21, 2013

Dine In: Cool Beans Cafe

Most people spend Friday night partying, dining out, or doing just about anything to welcome the weekend with a bang. I am most people, I think. Haha. There just seems to be something wrong with staying at home on a Friday night. Well, I'm in my mid-twenties so you'll have to understand. For the record, I'm way past partying so that leaves you with dining out and doing-just-about-anything-to-welcome-the-weekend. Haha.

I'm not a foodie and I'm not adventurous when it comes to trying out new cuisines, but I do love to dine out. My sister and I love to spend Friday or Saturday nights trying out hole-in-the-walls or just hanging out. Last Friday was no different.

During one of our strolls along Maginhawa, we spotted a newly opened cafe which really caught our eye. Cool Beans Cafe is the newest addition to the ever-growing Maginhawa restaurant family. The best thing about Cool Beans is that their customers can borrow their books while they're eating or having coffee. Really cool, right?

By the way, you'll have to excuse my photos. They were taken during one of those rare times when I was caught unprepared. I didn't bring my camera so I had no choice but to use my Blackberry.

 



I once dreamt of owning a business like this one, but I guess someone already beat me to it. Haha. This is place is my ultimate dream hangout. I would like to commend and offer my heartfelt gratitude to the owner for coming up with Cool Beans and combining my two loves: eating and reading. 

Their book selection is quite commendable. They have everything from Archie comics to biographies to popular novels. Aside from the selection of books, I also like the way they've set up the place. I like its interiors 'cause it gives you a homey feeling. It's really conducive to reading. They have wooden chairs and tables for people who only come there to eat. Those who'll only want to read can sit anywhere on the two sets of couches. 

Ate and I went there hoping to do both, but given it was a Friday and the place was almost packed, we had no choice but to sit on the wooden chairs. And just when I was really looking forward to lounging on the couch. Haha. Anyway, here's what we ordered:


Iced Tea and Iced Chocolate. They may look the same, but trust me, they're not. The one on the forefront is my iced tea and the other one is Ate's iced chocolate. My tea was a bit sour for my taste, but it was ice cold. If you want a sweeter one, you can add syrup for twenty pesos (I think). Ate's chocolate tasted like your regular iced Milo. 


Pan Grilled Chicken Fillet. When I saw their serving of this dish, my eyes instantly popped out. See how big that cup of rice is? It was impossible for me to finish it all up! The fillet was okay, though it was a bit bland for my taste. Health conscious people, on the other hand, will definitely give it two thumbs up.


Vigan Longganisa Penne. I liked Ate's pasta better. The red sauce was made with Vigan Longganisa, but we were hardly able to taste the longganisa on the pasta. It tasted like regular ground meat. The penne was cooked al dente, and the herbed foccacia was good.

The place is still on soft opening, so I guess they're still trying to get everything right. The food prices aren't all that bad. But I do hope they add more choices to the menu. So far, they have two pasta dishes, sandwiches and paninis, frappucinos, and a few rice meals. All in all, I think the place is worth going back to. Three out of five stars.


Visit Cool Beans Cafe at:
67-A Maginhawa Street, UP Village, Quezon City
Mobile number: 0917.706.4711
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/coolbeansph

No comments:

Post a Comment