Sunday, November 4, 2012

Candles and Cakes

I'm not used to celebrating my birthday with parties and gatherings. It's because it falls on the day after All Soul's Day. My friends are usually in the provinces visiting their departed loved ones, or spending their semestral breaks with their families. 

I usually spend my birthday in the province with just Mama and my two siblings (because Papa used to work abroad). We'd hear Mass and then go straight to Zymurgy, the local cafe/restaurant, for dinner. That's usually how my birthday goes.

Thankfully. this year, I was able to spend it with my whole family - including Papa. I consider it a blessing since I haven't celebrated my special day with him since 2004. Another welcome change was spending it here in Quezon City. I didn't go home to visit my departed loved ones in the province because my sister, cousins and I needed to work on something during the long weekend. The last time I spent my birthday here was when I turned 10 years old, I think. 

On my 24th birthday, I went to Mass, spent the day shopping/ window shopping, and had dinner with my close relatives.

What makes me the happiest on my birthday are not the gifts I receive, but the people who remember me on my special day. 

This may sound pathetic, but I used to count the number of people who would greet me via Facebook, Twitter, SMS, and even BBM. I used to feel really giddy when the number of well-wishers increase and bad when they decrease. Don't worry, I don't do that anymore. Haha.

It makes me happy knowing that people take a minute out of their time to send me a text message, a tweet, or a BBM just to wish me a happy birthday. Bawat isang message, may dalang kilig. To show them that I appreciate the effort, I reply to their messages one by one. Kahit nakakapagod. If they took time out to greet me, I should take time out to say thank you, right?


What's important is not how many remember, but that they did. To everyone who remembered, here's a virtual cake and cupcake for you. Thank you for making me feel extra special. Best gift of all :)

To my brother and sister who made sure I had a cake and a candle to blow, I love you both to bits. Wish come true :)

To my parents who fed me with so much on my birthday - love and food alike, I love you to infinity and beyond. Your 24-year-old is a happy kid. With a happy tummy to match :P  

The only thing that made me sad on my day was the realization that I no longer belong to the early 20s age bracket. Hello, mid-20s! :)

Much love,
Gellie


No comments:

Post a Comment